Trust.
Trust is one of the most powerful gifts we can offer each other, yet it's also one of the scariest. When we hesitate to trust, we're asking ourselves questions. What if my trust is broken? What if things go wrong? What if I don’t receive any trust in return? What if I get hurt?
The "what ifs" can go on and on, but those uncertainties are mere clouds of fog masking the mountains of possibility which come with trust. Instead of the negative “what ifs” we always ask ourselves, let’s use a new one: "What if I DO trust?"
With trust, I stayed safe in Italy. When the bus line shut down for the night and two American girls were left standing in the dark, trust came in the form of an Italian woman (who spoke no English) motioning for us to follow her and leading us to a nearby bus line which took us home.
With trust, I had a life-changing summer. When I had an internship lined up in Florida but no place to live, trust came in the form of two guys subletting a room on Craigslist for a summer. Those two kept me laughing all summer and helped me discover the joy of life outside my comfort zone.
With trust, I jumped off the diving board of life and landed in the outstretched arms of Nebraska. When graduation was approaching and I couldn’t figure out where to go next, trust came in the form of a volunteer corps year. I now live with eight unique housemates who daily help me think, grow, and love more. I excitedly spend each day at a job which combines my creative, organizational, and people skills. I have a supervisor who mentors, cares for, encourages, and understands me as if she were family.
Trust happens in the little moments, too. Trust is starting a conversation with the stranger at the bus stop. Trust is giving an honest answer when asked how you are. Trust is believing in the good of others.
The world is a horrifying place, but nothing will get better if we always live in fear. For my sake, for your sake, for goodness sake, please give trust a try. Stop shutting your hearts, your doors, and your borders; instead, start trusting each other. I can’t guarantee a smooth ride, but I can guarantee the splendor of possibilities, and those possibilities can be pretty damn amazing.
No comments:
Post a Comment