I'm an assistant troop leader for a local Girl Scout troop. Yesterday we went took a day trip to Madison, and in the morning we went to Olbrich Gardens. Because it's winter only the inside conservatory was available, but it was still wonderful (and warm!). After walking through and admiring the plants and animals, I started watching the people around me.
Many people were there as a family, which included several adorable little kids. There was an area with bird seed and bird baths that was easily viewable so people could watch the birds. At one point when I was standing near it, a little boy came running over, saw the quail that were walking around, and yelled, "Look Mommy! Chickens!"
For a little while I was on a second level that overlooked the area below. A mother and her son (who was probably about 1 or 2, but I'm not good at guessing ages) were watching the birds. A nearby guest, a grandmother, started talking to the mother, I assume about their respective children. The granddaughter soon made her way over to the bird area, and the two toddlers saw each other. For a few moments they stood in shock, amazed by the fact that there was another person their size. The moments were fleeting, though, and they quickly went their separate exploratory ways.
While walking around I saw a mother with her three teenage daughters. You could tell they were related because they had similar facial features, dressed in a similar manner, and had some sort of braid in their hair.
There were several benches place throughout the garden. One bench resident was an amazingly serene woman. She was sitting all alone on the bench, but she didn't seem alone. Although it had only a discreet smile, her calm face showed immeasurable joy and serenity.
One woman was walking around taking pictures. She had a name tag which identified her as "Volunteer." She was clothed in a simple brown dress, brown tights, and brown shoes. Her long brown hair only added to the beauty of her plainness. Her soft smile to visitors who passed by seemed to say, "Welcome to my home. I hope you're able to glimpse at least a sliver of the beauty I see here. Please stay as long as you like."
Sometimes people are beautiful.
No comments:
Post a Comment